When Lesley gave me the sketches and text of what she wanted from her new website, I thought to myself, looks relatively easy. Then I came to make on screen what looked easy on paper and have been scratching my head and chewing my own liver out since.
One of the problems lies with the fact the software I used to use for creating albums which uses flash as part of their make up, used to be completely free and a lot easier to work with than it is today.
I spent about three days working on one test album, got it looking half way like I think she wants it and uploaded it to the server.
Opened the browser to find that a dirty great advert pops up every time you load the page.
No mention of it in the prep, but if you want to use albums on a server, you have to pay a 20 Euro fee.
Spent days evaluating software and most had something silly and restrictive hidden inside as a sort of payload.
When I did find something to do the job, most of the things I wanted to do were sort of straightforward, but as there will be three albums on different pages, the files were corrupting and pulling parts of one album into another.
All this time, I'm tearing my hair out and nothing is appearing on her domain which will make her think I'm doing nothing.
Today I had twenty minute bites at the problem and finally got a leash on the monster about half six tonight by making all albums work in their own folders so the directory paths in the coding doesn't get more confused than the bloke who created it.
Add to this, none of this layout is visible on the page when you are setting it up, you have to save and then view in browser time after time.
Slowly I am getting there, but it is a little like pulling your own teeth out.
Once I upload it to server, all I will need is for Lesley to say "let's have some kittens on there, cos everyone loves kittens" and I will be free to have that nervous breakdown I deserve.